What experience and degrees/certifications are needed to get a Head Start job?

The required credentials vary by position, and in some cases by agency. Most teaching positions with Head Start and Early Head Start agencies in Detroit require at minimum a Child Development Associate (CDA) certificate, a child care and development associate degree, or a bachelor’s degree in early childhood education. Child Development Associate (CDA) Certificate
  • Nationally recognized certification
  • Requires 480 hours of experience working with children
  • Requires 120 clock hours of training, which can be obtained at community colleges or through other training organizations
  • T.E.A.C.H. scholarships are available
Child Care and Development Associate Degree
  • Ranges from 60 to 72 credit hours depending upon the program
  • Most community colleges or universities offer CDA training classes and an associate degree
Bachelor’s Degree in Early Childhood Education
  • Usually earned at a four-year institution
  • 25 educational institutions in Michigan offer this degree: http://bit.ly/1ogaCLU
  • Articulation agreements with 11 four-year colleges and universities in Michigan allow professionals working in the field of early childhood to transfer credits and apply them toward a bachelor’s degree

Did this answer your question?