Special Needs Assistant
New St. Paul Head Start Agency, Inc.
Hew St. Paul Head Start Agency, Inc.
Job Description/ Duties:
This position was established for the purposes of providing support services for children with disabilities as well as parenting support and resources’ to families in accordance to the Head Start Performance Standards, Services to children with disabilities and Early childhood development services.
- Assist in Implementing support services according to the child’s individualized plan.
- Ensure that children with disabilities and behavioral difficulties receive a mainstreamed experience in the least restrictive environment.
- Under direct supervision, provide direct special services to the assigned child.
- Assist educational staff and the assigned child in all areas of the program as needed.
- Communicate with Disabilities Manager and staff regularly with on the progress of the child.
- Model appropriate behavior and interact in a positive, friendly and courteous manner with children, staff, families and community volunteers in order to build and foster responsive relationships.
- Assist in ensuring Head Start/Early Head Start Services to children with disabilities are in compliance with federal regulations and laws governing disabilities efforts as defined in IDEA and ADA.
- Assist in implementing the referral process for any suspected disability/developmental delay or at risk for development delay, including a tracking system for follow-up.
- Works closely with Disabilities Manager and other content staff in the assessment process and follow up to assure that the special needs of each child with disabilities are met.
- Works with Disabilities Manager to ensure that provisions to meet special needs are incorporated into the all content areas as needed.
- Assists providing and compiling the staff persons working in the Family and Community Partnerships area and family services staff (Family Advocates) current resource information related to disabilities services.
- Assists in implementing intervention strategies within the classroom setting with the intent for teachers and other staff to be able to carry out strategies independently.
- Assist Disabilities Manager in providing services to Head Start/Early Head Start families with children with disabilities in cooperation with other agencies/providers.
- Assist with community resources for provision of services to children with disabilities children with disabilities
- Reviews and understand the agency recruitment and selection procedures in reaching the 10% enrollment requirement for children with disabilities, in addition to recruiting children with disabilities’.
- Create disability files, enter accurate documentation in files, Agency computerize Tracking System and complete weekly reports.
Qualifications: Minimum requirement is a CDA. AA degree in special education, early childhood education, child development, psychology or other closely related field in Special Education degree and/or education preferred. Training in field(s) related to social, human or family services and experience in securing and individualizing needed services for children with disabilities preferred.
Skills Required: Must have the ability to work with children with varied abilities and some knowledge of working in an Early Childhood Education preschool program.
Physical Requirements: Acceptable tuberculosis screening results, a clear criminal records check (including child abuse registry check if required by state regulations) and an initial health exam are required post job offer and prior to employment, as well as annual clearances.
How to Apply:
Please send resume to:
Attention: Human Resource Manager